Guild [DWR] Death Without Remorse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Death Without Remorse forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why People Leave: A Case Study

Go down 
2 posters

Do you think GW is a revolving door?
Yes
Why People Leave: A Case Study Vote_lcap100%Why People Leave: A Case Study Vote_rcap
 100% [ 2 ]
No
Why People Leave: A Case Study Vote_lcap0%Why People Leave: A Case Study Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Odin

Why People Leave: A Case Study Empty
PostSubject: Why People Leave: A Case Study   Why People Leave: A Case Study EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 3:17 am

One of my in-game friends has left Guild Wars. Fed up with it, frankly. Maybe we can learn from what happened...

Simply put, the community wasn't doing it. This person wanted a group that would be there when he (I'll guess he) needed them. Out of 4 guilds, not including ours to my knowledge, the best he found was one that gave advice only when it was badly needed. He got annoyed when they refused to run him to a better armor dealer, on the grounds that he should learn how himself. Also frustrating was the fact that help came only after the other members finished their own objectives, 20-30 minutes later. My friend feels help should come quickly and without the long discussion they had about running him.

To me it sound like that was a fairly good guild, too, being that they were actually on at the time and giving what they were in the way of help. My first guild was never on.

To be fair, I also undervalued an item that he bought in a trade. What is worse, the seller did not stick around to give a refund. While I erred and apologized, it did not help. While a few minor slip-ups may have helped finish him, I tried to salvage the situation and failed. I tried to rally as many of us and alliance people as I could for a cheer-up--1 person came when I was there. No other friends on at the time. Even this might not have worked, but still, we can do better.

As a reference, this happened around 1:45 EST. Just as a reference--that might not be a time when you can be on. Heck, don't be on just for the sake of it, only if you still enjoy the game. It's a game, not a job.

My friend list and our rosters have been remarkably empty lately. Maybe it's time for me to lay low for a few days and get less tired of doing quests for quests' sake.

We may not be able to make the Guild Wars community more lively or helpful as a whole. We can only change ourselves and our guild. Think about this, and please, renew my confidence with some replies to this post.
Back to top Go down
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Crazy_Odin
Odin

PostSubject: A Follow-Up   Why People Leave: A Case Study EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 11:07 am

Some things just don't make sense. Like why the person in question was playing Guild Wars a night later as though nothing had happened, leveling up another character. Maybe I did save Christmas...

I must also note that we set a new record for people on at one time. 12 at once. Good job guys! Unfortunately, most of them were not paying attention to the guild chat st the time, but that will come.

One last moral to this story is that I really should not play for more than, say, 4 hours at a time. When this all happened both of us had been on way too long. Sorry for any unwarranted negativity.

I still feel we can learn from what was said. Maye we can be that guild that retains new people more often than the game as a whole. Maybe we already are, and just need to reap the benefits more. Onward and Upward!

Let's start by using the forum more. Let's finish by making GW history.
Back to top Go down
necrosis

PostSubject: Sorry to hear.   Why People Leave: A Case Study EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 3:47 pm

I"m sorry to hear of your friends trouble Odin. I am relatively new to the guild but not so much too gaming in general. Good guilds are hard to come by. A lot of them are started by real life friends and seem to have a select core group of players that stick together and don't care much about the others in the guild. This irritates me, I have been in many guilds in different games and have never really found a great fit, for various reasons.

I'm a gamer at heart, so online games like GW and WoW tend to transcend natural social barriers like age and sex for me. I knew when I joined the guild that I was older (so much older) than most in this guild. Thats cool, Nik made me aware of this from the get go.

The point I'm trying to make is this, so far this is a really great guild, better than most i've been in, within and without of GW.
I"ve gotten good support and help when I needed it and even some when I didn't. So I hope your friend decides to stick it out or comes back at some point in the future.
Back to top Go down
Odin

PostSubject: An update   Why People Leave: A Case Study EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 1:21 pm

My friend has since spent some time in DWR and had a renewal-of-enthusiasm. However, he recently left for another guild that he feels is a better fit for him. He was happy for the invite, I want to say that we showed that things can be good when people help each other, but he felt we are not the best fit for him personally. Oh well, we all seemed to learn something from this, and he took some steps closer to fining a suitable long-term arrangement.
I still have a hard time associating "Pale Blossom" and "necrosis" as the same person. Heck, it took me this long to figure it out. lol!
What's with that? I guess you just have to have fun as an alter-ego, and I don't exactly resemble Nimue Odin. pirat
Back to top Go down
necrosis

PostSubject: Re: Why People Leave: A Case Study   Why People Leave: A Case Study EmptyThu Feb 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Yes, I would have prefered pale as my forum name but alas...it was not to be. My original registration got fudged and could by the time I realized the problem, I could no longer use pale.

So Necrosis it is..for now. Maybe Nik and I can figure out how to switch it at some point. But for now...

necrosis = pale Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why People Leave: A Case Study   Why People Leave: A Case Study Empty

Back to top Go down

Why People Leave: A Case Study
Page 1 of 1